Awards & Scholarships
Shirley Fields McCoy, Chair
Expert in Nursing Care Award
The Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association Board of Directors is pleased to announce the EXPERT IN NURSING CARE AWARD. Created by the Information Task Force that designed the RN Awareness Campaign, this award is to recognize outstanding Registered Nurses. Take time to nominate yourself, a colleague, or a friend who truly makes a difference!
- Registered Nurse
- Member of the American, Ohio or Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association and/or specialty nursing organization
- Must live, work or volunteer within MODNA boundaries (Delaware, Fairfield, Fayette, Franklin, Logan, Madison, Pickaway, and Union Counties)
- Must be currently engaged in direct nursing care as an employee or volunteer
Letter of nomination for the award should include:
- Name, address, email address, area of nursing practice and location of Nominee
- Name, address, and email address of Nominator
- Membership(s) in nursing organizations
- Identification of how the nominee demonstrates extraordinary nursing care in ordinary settings
- Highlight how the nominee is an “unsung hero” bringing heart into her/his practice
- Identification of ways in which the nominee includes the five values of an “expert of nursing care” into her/his practice:
Deadline is April 1, 2017.
Mail, email or fax nomination letters to:
Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association
1520 Old Henderson Rd, Suite 100
Columbus, Ohio 43220
Presentation of the Award will be at the MODNA Annual Dinner Meeting in May in honor of National Nurses Week.
2016 Scholarship Awardee – Cynthia Engmann
General Scholarship Information
- All scholarship applications must be sent directly (via mail or email) to the Mid Ohio District Office Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association, 1520 Old Henderson Road, Suite 100
Columbus, OH 43220 ~ email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scholarship recipients will be notified by mail in mid-April.
- All awards are paid directly to the education institution of enrollment
- Recipients may use the funds for any educational expense
- Members of the Mid Ohio District Nurses Association’s Awards & Scholarships Committee
- Plaques will be presented to the scholarship recipients at Mid-Ohio District’s Annual Dinner Meeting on the second Wednesday evening in May.
- Each applicant may receive a scholarship only one time. Candidates not awarded a scholarship may re-apply during future application periods.
The deadline for submission of all scholarship applications and required supporting documents is the 3rd Friday of February.
Dorothy A Cornelius Nursing Scholarship Fund
The Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association established this fund to honor the professionalism and ideals of Dorothy Alice Cornelius, an international nursing leader. A resident of Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Ms. Cornelius believed that one nurse could make a difference. After graduating from the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Ms. Cornelius served in the U.S. Navy Nurses Corps during World War II. Her nursing career also included positions as executive director of the Ohio Nurses Association, and as president of the International Council of Nurses, the American Nurses Association, and the American Journal Nursing Company. She was an active volunteer with the American Red Cross, and served on numerous committees and commissions for both the federal government and the State of Ohio.
This fund provides scholarships for registered nurse members of the Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association to pursue an advanced nursing education degree.
- Each applicant must be a member in good standing of the American Nurses Association, the Ohio Nurses Association and the Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association.
- Each applicant must be enrolled in a nationally accredited nurse education program or temporarily accredited program leading to a Bachelor’s Degree or a higher degree in Nursing or directly related field of doctoral study.
- Each applicant must be accepted in the chosen program; if acceptance has not yet been granted, the candidate must supply evidence that the application has been processed.
- Each applicant must demonstrate the ability to complete the chosen program.
- The applicant’s professional contributions to nursing through ANA and ONA membership, participation in MODNA activities, and other volunteer activities will be evaluated.
- The previous work experience in Nursing will be considered.
- The applicant’s apparent ability and commitment to complete the educational program will be evaluated.
- The candidate’s future plans to use the additional knowledge in Nursing will be considered.
Debbie Cannon Freece Nursing Leadership Scholarship Fund
The Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association established this fund to honor the leadership and service of Debbie Cannon Freece, former Executive Director of this association. Ms. Freece graduated from The Ohio State University School of Nursing in 1974 with her BSN and again in 1979 with a MS in Nursing Administration and Education. Debbie Cannon Freece, MS, CNS, worked in long-term care in multiple roles that include director of nursing at a skilled nursing facility, project director for Ohio Department of Health Nursing Home Area Training Centers, educator and geriatric nurse consultant. Her belief in mentorship, education, volunteerism, and advocacy on public health issues drives her commitment to the nursing profession. She led the Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association, an affiliate of the Ohio and American Nurses Association, as executive director for 22 years. Debbie received the Cornelius Leadership Congress Award (1995), the Excellence in Non-Traditional Nursing Award from the Ohio Nurses Association (2007), the Community Service Award from The Ohio State University College of Nursing Alumni Society (2008), inducted as a Local Nursing Legend by the Medical Heritage Center’s Friends of Nursing History Steering Committee (2013), named to The Ohio State University College of Nursing 100 Distinguished Alumni who have been transformers of healthcare during their careers (2014), and received the Gingy Harshey-Mead Excellence in Leadership Award (2106).
- Candidates must be enrolled part or fulltime in a nationally accredited nurse education program.
- Candidates must have a 3.0 grade point average
- Candidates must be an active member of their student nursing organization if one is available or an active member of a campus student organization
- Candidates permanent address or school of nursing must be within the Mid-Ohio District: Delaware, Fairfield, Fayette, Franklin, Logan, Madison, Pickaway, or Union counties
- 25% Ability and Commitment to Complete their Nursing Undergraduate Degree
- 50% Demonstrated Leadership in Undergraduate Student Organizations
- 25% Future Plans for Nursing Career